The biggest downside(for me) with living away from home is missing the family events.
The ones which you would be able to attend if you were in the same city, even if just for a moment or more.
Today happens to be such a day with my baby cousin brother completing his confirmation. A big day in most catholic families and of course, in ours.
Being a fussy eater in his early years, you can only imagine my pride when my aunt told us that he had graduated from plain noodles to eating fried chicken.
Well this boy has since grown, along with his carnivorous palette.
A strong silent chap, our chatter is kept to a minimum although our bond through silence is strong. Our bond through food, as is with my other 1st cousins, is even stronger.
It seems fitting to put up this post today to commemorate how far he’s come over the years, through food. Starting from that chicken.
We’ve got a roasted chilli, lemon and parsley chicken, stewing away its in juices to be paired with a salad and epic mash potato (made by my partner).
• 1 whole chicken, cut into curry cut pieces or left whole( this recipe is a great marinade for a roast as well)
• 1 handful of parsley, finely chopped and pounded to a semi-paste
• 1tbsp ground black pepper
• 11/2 tbsp red chilli powder
• 1tbsp garlic paste
• 1tsp english mustard
• 1tbsp of lime juice
• 2tbsp of unsalted butter
• salt to taste
1. Mix all the ingredients together and taste it before applying onto the chicken.
2. Marinade the chicken and allow to read for an hour at a minimum (overnight always best)
3. Pre-heat the oven at 170°C for 10mins
4. In a deep dish baking pan, layer with a sheet of foil.
5. Pour the chicken along with its marinade into the pan.
6. Optional: You can add wedges of lime along with the chicken to bake.
7. Cook the chicken in the oven at 175°C for 25-30mins. Check the chicken at the 20th minute and guage whether to cook for 15 more minutes.
8. Bring out the oven and allow to rest for 15mins before serving.
Optional: you can cook the juices separately to make a sauce.
Anyway, with this dish in mind, counting down the days until we meet , in silence and savour some chicken 😁
#cousin #family #love #loveforfood #nomnom #homemade