Kickstarting meatless Monday with a simple Cabbage Poriyal.
Simple ingredients, healthy and quick to cook. This South Indian dish goes well with dal rice and pickle or a couple of hot chapatis. I personally eat it with a bowl of steamed rice, papadum and curd. 🍚🤤
The base ingredients of this dish is a typical South Indian mix that can be used to cook many other types of vegetables- carrot and radish, gourds, pumpkin and even meats(you just have to marinade the meats in ginger garlic paste and chilli/pepper). But the meat version is a recipe for another day ❤️
• 1 head of cabbage chopped fine
• 1 large onion chopped fine
• 3 green/red chillis slit
• 3 stalks of curry leaves, chopped fine
• 1/2 cup of grated coconut
• 1 tbsp of mustard seeds
• 2 tsp turmeric powder
• Salt to taste
1. In a kadai, add a tablespoon of oil and add the mustard seeds.
2. Fry on a medium flame until the seeds splutter.
3. Add the chopped onion and fry until translucent.
4. Add the chillis, curry leaves, turmeric powder and salt. Mix all the ingredients well and cook until the onion becomes soft.
5. Finally add the grated coconut, mix well.
6. At this point, as mentioned previously, you can add any vegetable of your choice. Or go ahead with the cabbage. Cook on a medium flame, with the lid on, for about 20mins or until the vegetable is soft.
7. Turn the stove off and serve!