Sunday evening brought us some friends with a treat in hand. A container of green masala mutton that our friends father had made for lunch that day.
With little time at hand before the 4 of us had to head out for the evening, my partner and I decided to savour the dish on its own, mutton pieces and all.
However, I was now left with a container of green masala gravy which i did not intend on wasting. And that is how my dish for Monday came to being- A green masala kheema pulao!
A habit learnt from my mum, to experiment in the kitchen. I took the gravy and ingredients I had in my refrigerator and made a spicy pulao.
– 250gms beef mince
– 1/2 bunch of spinach
– 3 carrots
– 1 cup of rice
– 2cups of water
– 1/2 cup of green masala
– 1 inch cinnamon stick
– 3 cloves
– 3 cardamom
– 8 pepper corns
– 1 full bay leaf
– 2 green chillis slit
– Salt to taste
1. Add a tablespoon of ghee to a deep dish kadai with a lid.
2. On heating the ghee, add the bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, black pepper, salt & green chillis.
3. Add the beef kheema and mix well with the spices. Cook for 10mins.
4. Add the green masala gravy and the finely chopped vegetables.
5. Add 1/2 cup of water and close the lid to cook for another 10mins.
6. Add the rice and another cup of water and close the lid to cook for another 10mins or until the water evaporates. Remember to add a little water to replace the evaporated water if the rice isn’t fully cooked.
7. Turn off the gas once rice is cooked and leave the lid on for 5mins.
8. Serve with a mint and onion raitha.