When you’re under the weather and just want a hug, and you live on your own, food helps.
Not just any food but comfort food. Healthy, comfort food! And with that in mind, I reached into my refrigerator to find the ingredients that could possible put together a hearty soup.
What I found was my packet of mutton soup bones, a handful mushrooms and spinach and the twist to the plot- two tablespoons of leftover roast beef(with the leftover spiced & all)!
The recipe for the roast beef is another story to be told in another post. But I will post the core ingredients here.
The bone broth is the base for all my non-vegetarian soups and this is something that was fed to us as children, when we were unwell. Any variant I muster up from that is based on my curiosity. And this one did not fail me.
• 100gms mutton soup bones
• 50gms of lean beef sliced fine
• 1 onion- chopped into chunks
• 1 tomato- chopped into chunks
• 1 inch cinnamon
• 3 cardamom pods
• 2 cloves
• 2 inches of ginger (for my tummy)
• 5 whole cloves of garlic
• 10 peppercorns (for my throat)
• 5 dried red chillis
• 1 tbsp soya sauce (add more if required based on taste. Salt is an alternative)
• 1 tbsp turmeric powder
• 1 tsp coriander powder
Any vegetable you wish to boil! I had mushrooms and spinach(washed well and chopped)
1. Stir fry all the ingredients in a pressure cooker until the onions and light brown and tomatoes and garlic has softened.
2. Add 3 cups of water, close the pressure cooker with the weight and slow boil for 40mins. It’s beef slices and mutton bones so trust me, that patience reaps all the benefits to get the meat falling off the bones.
3. Take off the weight once letting the cooker settle, and open the lid. Add the chopped vegetables and allow to boil for about 10mins.
4. Steep some glass noodles in hot water for 3mins and later in a bowl once cooked.
5. Ladle the soup into the bowl and serve hot!
TLC helps! 💕