Back to the grind and getting home to a good hot meal is something I look forward to at the end of the day. But I do have days when my brain and actions don’t match- I cook up cravings in my head for which I don’t really have all the ingredients to.
And in that case, you’ve got to make due with what you’ve got!
This weeks leftover ingredients were as follows:
1. Half a bottle gourd
2. Two carrots
3. A pack of raw prawns
4. Leftover baffat masala
No matter what ingredients I have or don’t, three things you will always find in my kitchen is onions, garlic and ginger. An action I saw my mum undertake when I was younger and never quite understood. Until I started cooking for myself!
These miracle ingredients can help you cook anything!
And with these constants, I went on to cook my hot meal for the night.
1. Bottle gourd soup recipe
– peel and chop the bottle gourd and carrots into bite size pieces
– chop an onion and an inch of ginger
– toss everything into a sauce pan with some olive oil and a few pepper corns(I love the heat from pepper corns so I toss in quite a handful) and a pinch of coriander powder
-cover with a lid and cook for 10mins
– allow to cool and blitz into a fine paste
-Add half a glass of milk and stir until the paste and milk blend into a thick smooth soup
-Serve hot and enjoy!
2. Bafat prawns
– dry roast and blend dry red chilli, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, black pepper corns, cloves and cinnamon
-Finely chopped onion, green chilies and garlic
– in a frying pan fry the onion and garlic with the dry spices and a small teaspoon of ghee
– add the prawns and a pinch of salt and cook
– serve with a squeeze of lime