The weekends call for some extra love and effort in the kitchen. And this weekend is extra special for me!
It’s my parents anniversary and I’m not there to celebrate with them in person. However, that isn’t going to stop me from finding a connection with their celebration today, through food!
Food(and maybe music) are the true connections I make with people and today has me cooking everything from scratch!
Breakfast: Mini handmade breakfast pies
1. You create a pie based dough and cut out circles of even size.
2. Fill the dough with any filling of your choice. I chose apple preserve with strawberries.
3. Seal the pies by hand and coat it with a bit of butter and sugar.
4. Bake for 10mins et viola!
Lunch: Roast chicken and handmade mini pizza
1. I marinaded the chicken and stored it overnight before cooking it.
2. The marinade consisted of: a lot of chilli powder, lemon, butter, chili flakes, ginger garlic paste, cumin, cinnamon, mustard seeds and a pinch of vinegar and sugar- ground into a paste.
3. Roast the chicken in a baking tray with some chopped up root vegetables like potatoes, carrots, garlic and lime at 180•, for 20mins and then adjust the temperature and time accordingly.
This was a joint effort between me and my friend
1. Make thin crust pizza bases and added homemade marinara sauce
2. Pizza no.1 was my favourite with mushrooms, cheese, chilli flakes, garlic, olive oil and topped with fresh rocket leaves
3. Pizza no.2 was my friends favourite with three kinds of capsicum, sliced onion, broccoli, green chillis and cheese.
I love the fact that the love for food forms that connection no matter where we are in the world!